Dear Graduates, Parents, and Guardians:
As you are aware, the school made the decision to hold a virtual graduation ceremony and a graduation parade due to the safety concerns relative to the Covid-19 pandemic. The virtual ceremony will be pre-recorded and broadcast via AOTV and on Thursday, May 28th at 6:00 p.m. Viewable links to the ceremony will also be placed on the school's website at www.rcmahar.org. The graduation parade will take place on Friday, May 29th at 6:00 p.m. As we prepare for these events, there are several important steps that you need to be aware of.
1. Cap and Gown: Seniors/graduates can pick up their cap and gown at school on Friday, May 22nd between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. There will be a drive up station in front of the Kermit Cook Auditorium. Please drive up to the table and stay in your vehicle for someone to assist you. The cap and gown is yours to keep. You do not need to return them to the school.
2. Picture for the virtual graduation: We want to include a photo of each student wearing their cap and gown as part of the virtual ceremony. We can take a photo of each student at school once you are given your cap and gown. If you would like to use a photo other than the one we will take of you when you pick up your cap and gown, you will need to e-mail a digital copy of the photo with the graduate's first and last name to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 23rd.
3. Items to be returned to the school: When you come to the school on May 22nd to pick up your cap and gown, it is important that you bring with you any items that you owe the school. (Chromebook and charger, textbooks, athletic uniforms, other items....) Place all of the items in a sealed, plastic bag and clearly label the bag with your name.
4. Payments for class dues, yearbooks, sweatshirts, caps and gowns, uniforms... If you still owe money for items such as class dues, yearbooks, sweatshirts, or caps and gowns, we will collect the money when you pick up your cap and gown on May 22nd. Please place the money in a zip-lock bag with your name and a note that identifies the purpose of the payment. Please make checks payable to R.C. Mahar Regional School. If paying by cash, payments must be made in the exact amount owed as we are unable to provide change.
5. Personal items in student lockers and/or P.E. lockers: The custodial staff will clean out all student and P.E. lockers and place personal items in a plastic bag. The bag will be labeled with the student's name and will be returned to you when you arrive on May 22nd to pick up your cap and gown.
6. Diplomas: Due to the current and unique circumstances, it will take a few days to inventory the items students returned to the school. (chromebooks, textbooks, uniforms...) We know that everyone wants their diploma in hand as soon as possible. Once we confirm that you don't owe any items to the school, your diploma will be mailed to you. However, you will be given your personalized diploma case when you arrive for the graduation parade on Friday, May 29th.
7. Graduation Parade (Graduates and their parents/guardians only): The parade will start at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, May 29th. Please arrive at the school in your vehicles with your parents/guardians beginning at 5:30 p.m. Enter the school from South Main Street/Hayden Street side and follow the signs and directions provided by staff members. There will be a drive-up station at which you can stop to pick up your diploma case. Vehicles will then stage along Hayden street facing North. Participants will be required to remain in their vehicles. Please note, there will be no access to bathroom facilities at this time. The parade route will be published on the school's website next week. Additional information regarding the parade and parade route along with signs and placards will be given to you when you pick up your cap and gown on May 22nd.
When you arrive at the school on May 22nd between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., to pick up your cap and gown, please remember to stay in your vehicle at all times except when you are directed to briefly step out of your vehicle for a photo wearing your cap and gown.
Scott A. Hemlin
High School Principal
R.C. Mahar Regional School